Saturday 7 February 2009

What it takes to be successful in life?

A question that bothers every young person venturing out into this world of opportunities and complexities. 

"I don't brood over issues. The more you think about it, the more complex it becomes. I want to keep everything simple. And I don't mean just the game. Matters off the field may not be within my control as well, so why lose sleep over things you can't control? What I can do is to give my best every time" says a 22 year old young man from a town we may never have had seen in a world map about his climb to the summit against heavy odds. 

"Whenever anyone outperforms me, whether in academics or sport, I tell myself that if he could do it, so can I. Whenever someone from the team is adjudged Man of the Match, I feel the honour could have been mine as well, It's not jealousy - my team-mates' success obviously gives me a lot of joy - but one basic question: 'If he could, why couldn't I?" he adds.

Simple thoughts Shakib, but great philosophy for life. 



Note: Although he is not as renowned as some of the contemperory practitioners of his profession and is relatively unheralded, Shakib al Hasan is the world's No. 1 all round cricketer in One Day Internationals as per the current ICC Rankings.


1 comment:

Abhi said...

Great pick sir. What a simplistic view of life as a whole. Such success stories inspire students of yours' to strive to achieve anything they want. Hope to see more like this.