Saturday 10 March 2007

The Smile of Singapore

The Smiles From My Shelf [2]

About half a dozen readers conveyed that they had smiled at my first post on the topic. That's nearly 40% of my readership, and that I suppose is reason enough for this post, my second on the same, :-)

Some years back, I had been to Singapore, again to satisfy my wander lust. After walking around the major landmarks, in the city state for a whole day we, my brother and I, came to a halt on a bench by the side of Orchard Road. A girl, apparently in her pre-teens was sitting on the adjacent bench. She had a very small nose; her eyes were just two dots and added to that they were squinted. She could never have been branded beautiful, had beauty not been in the eyes of the beholder.

She held a small shopping bag, probably a gift from her dad, who had gone to the parking yard to fetch his car and she was relishing her chocolate. She was also smiling throughout, a contented smile. But she was restless for some reason, even at that moment of apparent happiness and was eyeing us from time to time, as we sat staring at the map.

Finally she broke free and gave us a big and beautiful smile and she asked us, “Do you want help?”!!!

With children like her as the future citizens, Singapore will continue to smile its way to success.

3 comments:

Abhi said...

It gives me pleasure each time i read your blog, and nothing refreshes the mind like a SMILE FROM UR SHELF!

Unknown said...

don't keep the smiles in the shelf for too long, share it frequently....:0

aravind said...

Hope u had not yet collected the most precious smile ... so keep collecting :).
And not only the humans ,who can smile ;)