Saturday 21 March 2015

The Hoops of Steel: a Roadside Rendezvous with my Teacher turned Colleague :)

"Each man's life touches so many other lives, and when he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?" 
Clarence Odbody, Angel II Class 

All men have their angels watching over them and at times they do come in flesh and blood too, an old friend, sometimes or an old student, and even an old Teacher at times of severe stress! 

It was a hectic and extended Saturday at work and I was driving back at a frenetic pace. The elderly gentleman was struggling to cross the road, wonder for how long, and I applied the brakes and the car came to a halt a few metres down the road. Rushing out of the car, I ran towards him and called out, "Sir, you aren't going across anytime soon".

He turned, surprised and burst into a loud laughter on seeing the familiar face, of the student turned colleague. We had a friendly chat even as I waved the vehicles to a halt and led him across the highway to buy a few bananas for dinner. And I brought him back, to my car, where my own student turned colleague was waiting for us.

Once in the car, he switched to the Shakespeare mode as was vogue, in his prime. And he turned Polonius this time to tell me.....that it's friends like you that people need....... 

"Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, Grapple them unto thy soul with hoops of steel."

and he kept on repeating.....

"with hoops of steel"

"with hoops of steel"

.....and I didn't cry, for that was my steely resolve :D

No comments: