Saturday 23 May 2009

Korea Mourns Moo-hyun


In Korea we woke up to the news on the demise of ex-president Mr. Roh Moo-hyun (노무현) today. The former president had apparently plunged himself from about 20-30m down a mountain near his home while on a morning walk. The suicide, the first by a modern South Korean leader had shocked the nation.

He had left a suicide note for his family:

“I can't imagine the countless agonies down the road. The rest of my life would only be a burden for others. I can't do anything because I'm not healthy. I can't read books, nor can I write.
Don't be too sad. Isn't life and death all part of nature? Don't be sorry. Don't blame anybody. It's fate. Please cremate me. And please leave a small tombstone near home. I've long thought about that.”

Hailing from a poor farming family in Gimhae, Mr. Roh never went to college and studied law on his own, passing South Korea’s difficult bar exam. He was elected President in 2002 on a campaign theme of not to ‘kowtow’ to the United States, a pledge that resonated with young voters. During the Presidency he had continued his predecessor Kim Dae-jung's “sunshine policy” of offering North Korea aid as a way to facilitate reconciliation, holding a summit in Pyongyang with North Korean leader Kim Jong Il in 2007, the second such meeting between leaders of the feuding nations.

The former President who had built a reputation as a lawyer defending students accused of sedition under past military rule, and once was arrested, with his law license suspended, for supporting an outlawed labor protest, was being prosecuted for alleged bribery charges.

“I have no face to show to the people. I feel ashamed before my fellow citizens I am sorry for disappointing you” an emotional-looking Mr. Roh had said on April 30 before undergoing questioning by prosecutors.

For a moment I thought about the rhino-skinned billionaire politicians of my own nation, who spend not a paisa from their pockets and had been living on tax payers' money for their entire life and at the same time grooming their progeny for taking over from them.

The prosecution is apparently winding up the case…


May his soul rest in peace.



1 comment:

Gingerbread & Me said...

Its not just our politicos who are rhino skinned....It appears that words like integrity, honour, dignity are missing in the dictionaries of most international politicos.
Check out this link about the Brit Parliament being rocked by an expenses scandal
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i2NMm2DAFwOgWVYk_g36WwtbI8BgD98BHUL80

Tragic really!!!